Sustainable Development Goal 12 calls for a paradigm shift in production and consumption patterns.
Target 12.3, in particular aims to “by 2030 halve per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels and reduce food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses”. The most recent estimates of European food waste levels (FUSIONS, 2016) reveal that 70 per cent of EU food waste arises in the household, food service and retail sectors, with production and processing sectors contributing the remaining 30 per cent.
The European Commission adopted an ambitious Circular Economy Package, which includes revised legislative proposals on waste to stimulate Europe’s transition towards a circular economy.
In the framework of this package, the European Commission has decided to establish the EU Platform on Food Losses and Food Waste (FLW) to support all actors in: defining measures needed to prevent food waste; sharing best practice; and evaluating progress made over time.
The Milan Urban Food Policy Pact Framework for Action has been reckonized by the EU commission as an effective process and a unique example of good practices to promote the adoption of policies against food waste at city level.
Therefore, on 29 November, 2016 the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact will be represented and the kick-off meeting of the Platform on Food Losses and Food Waste. Follow the meeting on livestream here
Oven a half of MUFPP signatory cities has voted for the 3rd Steering Committee. Discover the new members on the different geographic regions.