On 9th March, the MUFPP and Eurocities are convening a joint high-level event to draw the attention on the importance of developing a comprehensive policy on sustainable food systems and the key role of including cities’ perspectives, achievements and ambitions to reiterate, once more, their essential role in transforming food systems.
Indeed, in 2023, the European Commission will put forward the proposal for a legislative framework for sustainable food systems (FSFS), one of the flagship initiatives of the Farm to Fork Strategy. The goal is to accelerate and facilitate the transition towards more sustainable food systems.
In this sense, European cities are already acting and co-creating measures and policies with citizens and local food stakeholders to limit food systems’ impact on climate and the environment, improve citizens’ well-being, shorten and strengthen production chains, and guarantee access to good food for all.
9 European cities from the MUFPP along with high level experts will join the discussion and share their vision for the future of food in the EU.
List of speakers
- Keynote speech from Maurizio Martina, Deputy General Director, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Thom Achterbosch, Senior Researcher, Wageningen University and Research
- Alvaro Porro, Commissioner of social economy, local development and food policy, Barcelona
- Mariam Khan, City Councillor, Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care, Birmingham
- Patrick Papadato, Vice-President in charge of Nature, Biodiversity and Food Resilience Strategy, Bordeaux Metropole
- Salima Djidel, City Councillor in charge of municipal catering, Grenoble Alpes Metropole
- Anna Scavuzzo, Vicemayor of Milan in charge of Food Policy and Education, Milan
- Silke Beirens, Deputy Mayor for Food, Agriculture, Environment & Climate, Ostend
- Maria Karagianni, Deputy Mayor for Culture and Tourism, responsible for food policy affairs, Thessaloniki
- Jürgen Czernohorszky, Executive City Councillor for Climate, Environment, Democracy and Personnel, Vienna
- Karolina Zdrodowska, Head director for Entrepreneurship and Public Dialogue, Warsaw