From 21 to 23 September 2016 the capital of Senegal hosted the Dakar Forum to discuss and share ideas and projects on the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact implementation and sustainable urban development. The forum saw the participation of six West African Cities: Dakar, Abidjan (Cote...
ACRA is an NGO committed to remove poverty through market-based solutions with high social and economic impact. It works
- to strenghten community based enterprises and local cultures
- to promote human rights
- to enhance multi stakeholder’s dialogue
- to catalyze resouces and players
- to create & foster corridors of Knowledge and best pactices sharing among geaographies
ACRA has been present in Senegal since 1984, in 9 out of 14 regions of the country where it operates in different sectors: micro finance, water supply infrastructures and corresponding promotion and development of committees at community level for the participatory management of the said infrastructures, agro-biodiversity/food security, traditional medicine, education.
As a partner of Food Smart Cities for Development, and the Development aid department of the City of Milan, ACRA has organized the Dakar forum a gathering of African cities that have signed the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact.
The Forum held from the 20th to the 22th September 2016 had three main objectives:
- Fostering the awareness building process on the covenant in the city of Dakar and endorsing the integration of such process in local policies “providing for a favourable background for an effective action.
- Helping Abidjan (Ivory Coast), Brazzaville (Republic of the Congo), Douala (Cameroon), N’Djamena (Chad), Niamey (Niger) , Nouackchott (Mauritania) and Dakar (Senegal) to implement concrete practices to reach their objectives in the short term, even by favouring skills exchange.
- Defining proper indicators for the sub-Saharan context and identifying tools for the sustainability of initiatives (economic, social, and environmental).